Each year students and teachers around the world compete for the privilege of becoming JASON Argonauts. Those selected travel to exciting research locations and work side-by-side with scientists and engineers, many of whom they’ve come to know through JASON curricula. In doing so, they are the eyes and ears of their peers back home, experiencing real scientific research and sharing those experiences with the entire JASON community.
JASON Learning, thanks to the generosity of the Argonaut Program's supporters, covers expenses for all lodging, food, programming, and equipment costs related to the Argonaut experience.
Who Should Apply?
JASON is seeking a diverse group of students who:
- Demonstrate a strong interest and ability in science
- Possess excellent leadership and teamwork skills
- Are self-motivated, creative, and adventurous, taking personal initiative to meet challenges and overcome obstacles
- Possess excellent communication skills and are comfortable in front of a crowd, or a camera (or can learn to be!)
- Exhibit an eagerness to participate in field activities which may be outdoors and/or strenuous in nature. Activities, locations, or conditions may include, but are not limited to:
- Rock climbing
- Extensive hiking/backpacking
- Underground exploration (caves or mines)
- Small/confined spaces
- Adverse weather conditions (temperature extremes, rain, wind, etc.)
- Interesting critters
- A variety of lodging possibilities, including dormitory-style, camping, and others
- Currently possess or can obtain a passport if selected for travel to an international expedition location
- Have ideally used JASON and/or its Immersion Learning program in an educational setting
- Will be 13-17 years old as of June 1 of the expedition year
Please note: For students with special needs accommodations may be made consistent with the students' IEP. Please identify your needs to us when submitting your application. We will make every effort to accommodate them whenever possible.
How Do I Apply?
1. Allow yourself plenty of time to work on your application before the deadline -- it always takes longer than anticipated, and has several components that depend upon the help (and time) of others! Allow yourself at least several weeks. Review the contents of the application form below to get a sense of the required components. Print out this handy checklist to make sure you have everything you need to complete your application.
2. Get help! Every Student Argonaut candidate needs to identify a committed adult "sponsor" that will support them through the application process, and, if selected, through the expedition preparation phase. Being a sponsor does NOT require any financial commitment.
The role of the sponsor is to:
- Assist the student through the application process, helping the student assemble and submit application materials by the submission deadline
- If selected, assist the student through the expedition preparation phase as necessary (for example, helping the student gather the right things to pack, getting any required immunizations, assisting with transportation to the airport, etc.).
- Help to promote awareness of the student's efforts and accomplishments in your community
- Serve as a key adult point of contact for JASON Learning's communications with the student as needed
If the sponsor is someone different than the student's parent(s) or guardian(s), the parent(s) or guardian(s) must attach a letter to the application indicating that they are aware of whom the sponsor is and approve of their serving as the sponsor.
3. You will need to download and submit these documents as part of your online application:
- Administrator statement of support
- Medical statement
- Personal release form
- Liability release form
4. Fill in the online application form as completely and accurately as possible.
5. Take extra time and care on the personal essays and video components. These are the best way to distinguish yourself as a great Argonaut candidate and are relied on heavily during the selection process.
6. Remember that you can save your application as a draft in progress, and return to it later to complete and submit it.
If you have questions that are not addressed in the FAQ, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We gather personal information to allow us to process your application, to provide information about our other educational offerings, and to inform you of future programs that might be of interest to you. From time to time, you may receive e-mail and other mailings from JASON Learning and our close partners.
We will not sell or distribute your personal information to other organizations for any purpose that is not related to JASON Learning. Your personal information is not available to anyone except staff, contractors, and volunteers (including members of the Argonaut judging committees) assisting JASON Learning in the administration of this program.